Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Manitoba
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Silver Heights Collegiate
Principal: Len Harris
School website: www.mbnet.mb.ca/silverht
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary concert and jazz bands
- Encourage students to strive for excellence and instill a sense of pride.
- Appreciate and nurture students' particular talents and give them an opportunity to use them.
- Recognize that teaching music goes beyond teaching notes and techniques. Teach life skills and personal worth through music.
Developed a nationally recognized band program in which students
- participate in one of three concert bands, ensembles, solo performances and five jazz ensembles, and study music theory and history
- receive private or group instruction as needed to develop musical and personal skills
- engage in peer tutoring _ senior students assist band directors of middle schools by tutoring younger students.
Founded band parent organization that supports band program with leadership, public relations and financial aid for music camps, clinics, trips and scholarships.
Incorporates computer software into curriculum, stimulates student interest in composition, multimedia programming, facilitates individualized instruction, provides performance possibilities, and improves students' improvisation skills.
Recipient of the Band World Legion of Honour Awards from the John Phillip Sousa Foundation, which recognized him internationally as an outstanding band director.
"Many people would say that a music teacher teaches music, and in the narrowest sense, it is correct. But the real teacher, the Jim Mackays, teach students how to make music with their instruments and their lives." Parent
"I used to think we had him wrapped around our little fingers but I realize now it was the other way around. He was and remains a wonderful role model." Former student
- Date modified: