Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Alberta
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: McNally High School
Principal: George Rice
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary Mandarin Chinese
- Inspire students to excel in all areas of life by encouraging academic excellence. Learning Mandarin Chinese is a challenge. Succeeding instills pride, fosters self-esteem and inspires student to further challenges.
- Share knowledge and expertise freely so students learn from your example and contribute to society.
Pioneer in teaching Mandarin Chinese:
- elementary grades: wrote curriculum, translated resource material, developed lesson plans and introduced Chinese word processing
- junior high: wrote curriculum for three grades, developed resource materials and ensured continuity of learning through grades
- senior high: advocated, implemented and taught Mandarin Chinese at International Baccalaureate level, Grades 10-12.
Also created introductory class course material for beginners.
Promotes a variety of cultural activities: Mandarin dance lessons, Chinese chess club, ping pong club, twinning with school #113 in Harbin, China, and student tours to China to further interest and motivate students.
Excellent performance of students evidence of superior teaching skills:
- 98 percent attendance (school average 91 percent)
- passing rate of 96.5 percent (provincial standard 85 percent)
- 58 percent of students received grade over 80 percent (provincial standard 15 percent)
- class average in International Baccalaureate exams of 6.54 (out of 7) (world average 5.86 out of 7).
Respected speaker at professional, multicultural and language education conferences.
- Date modified: