Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Princess Margaret Junior Secondary School
Principal: Vivian Lieskovsky
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary physical education and student leadership
- Strive to build student leadership, participation and enthusiasm, and provide the role model for turning these learning goals into life-long pursuits.
- Challenge and motivate all students to improve their performance in whatever endeavours they choose.
- Ensure that students of all abilities can thoroughly enjoy their physical education classes.
Greatly improved student achievement and performance:
- developed a student leadership course that jump-started a growing proliferation of student-generated ideas and activities throughout the school
- initiated a five-point marking system that targets areas such as participation, fair play, respect and volunteering, and that rewards and otherwise holds students accountable for their performance daily
- expanded the range of the physical education program to include activities not regularly offered by other schools, such as curling, golf, racquetball, mountain biking, driver education, and even rock climbing and white-water kayaking.
Created school-wide guidelines indicating the scope and sequence of skills that should be emphasized in each grade, giving the department a high degree of consistency no matter who is teaching what unit.
Promotes corporate sponsorship and the support of community groups for activities.
- Date modified: