Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
Antonio De Araijo
School: St. Patrick Regional Secondary School
Principal: Chuck Luttrell
School website: www.stpats.bc.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary English and choral music
- connect with students by teaching with passion and energy. Use positive reinforcement, and affirm their gifts and talents.
- connect students with knowledge and material by relating personally to author or text to discover meaning and learn from the experience. Encourage critical thinking and provide constructive feedback on quality of ideas as well as quality of writing.
Established choral music program:
- has grown, in three years, to six choirs with 50 percent of student body participating
- taught during regular school hours, choir, junior choir and senior choir give inspiration, motivation and common goal to extremely diverse student population of downtown school
- senior choir won gold medal in prestigious American contest in 1998, placing it in the top 10 percent of high school choirs in North America
- as a result of this medal, senior choir was the first Canadian choir invited to National Invitational High School Choral Festival in Washington, D.C.
- Choirs regularly perform for community, on television and for conferences.
Recognized by parents and students for his extraordinary work with students in English class (helping strong and weak alike) and Peer Ministry.
"He is successful at what he teaches because he loves his students first, subject second." Parent
- Date modified: