Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Eagle View Elementary School
Principal: Robert Mathieson
Grades/Subjects Taught: Elementary, all subjects
- Use creativity. It is the most important natural resource.
- Blend information, problem solving and social skills into meaningful activity to teach life skills.
- Give each student a chance to shine in their own way and a real desire to succeed.
Brought "Odyssey of the Mind" (OM) program to school and is champion for it in school district:
- alternative to science fairs encourages creativity and ingenuity to solve problems, and emphasizes cooperation and respect
- teams of five to seven students solve design problems, such as building a load-bearing structure to balance weights, or small cars to break stationary and moving balloons
- originally one school participated in OM meets,. Through workshops, teacher training and other promotional activities, five area schools now involved.
- teams Mr. Murray coaches won regional OM competitions in 1996 and 1997.
Regularly gives workshops on Odyssey of the Mind to other teachers. Also gives workshops on computers, using Braille in the classroom and scuba diving.
Active member of school district's gifted and enrichment committee for 15 years.
- Date modified: