Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Buckingham Elementary School
Principal: Steve Cairns
Grades/Subjects Taught: Elementary, all subjects
- Help each student reach his or her full potential as a member of society. Mould the learning environment to students' needs.
- Use multiple intelligences theory to help students exploit their strengths.
- Give students a chance to plan and organize school activities.
Builds on students' emotional health by having them take on new challenges, including the following:
- self-selected groups plan, create and implement an interactive Halloween activity for other students
- participate in contests such as the Remembrance Day Poster Contest, poetry and essay-writing competitions, scarecrow-building competitions and Christmas tree-decorating contests. The latter two are the result of partnerships Mrs. Shoemaker has forged with local businesses.
- organize and run fundraising events such as Pizza Day, Cupcake Day and a school garage sale
- very high student participation rates in activities (often 100 percent, even in voluntary ones).
Coordinates presentations from the arts community to all schools in the district. Approach allows program to be cost-effective.
Key figure in bringing anti-bullying programs into the school and promoting them through class activities and school-wide presentations.
- Date modified: