Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Rick Hansen Secondary School
Principal: W. R. MacGregor
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary physics, calculus, science
- Recognize that real problem-solving takes place outside the classroom.
- Avoid monolithic approach to classroom learning so it is as effective as real-life learning.
- Adapt the curriculum to free students from rigid time lines. Enable students to develop skills relevant to the real world.
Steers highly successful Advanced Placement physics and calculus programs.
Brings together seemingly unrelated areas such as humanities, science, history, math, astronomy and geology for challenging assignments.
Produced significant and measurable improvements in student performance:
- provincial test exam results improved from 57 percent on average to 75 percent
- significantly higher school placements in Physics Olympics.
Inspires students and acts as mentor, even after students leave high school.
- Date modified: