Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Magee Secondary School
Principal: Eric Schieman
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary concert band and jazz ensembles
- Communicate, in every way possible, passion and love of music.
- Use disciplined yet caring approach to music teaching, and motivate students to set high goals for themselves in every area of their lives.
- Encourage musical exchanges with other provinces and countries. In this way students serve as models and ambassadors to themselves and each other.
Transformed a band and a choir school into a successful and popular music program with 30 percent of students enrolled.
Teaching style strives for excellence, encourages persistence and aspiration, develops confidence; example of patience and dedication inspires students.
Developed plan to appoint section leaders in senior ensembles:
- students delegated to oversee extracurricular rehearsals, look after music library, and act as assistant musical director as needed
- students also work as peer tutors and counsellors for younger students in program and elementary music students.
Acted as adjudicator, clinician, workshop leader and guest conductor across Canada and in Hawaii, Hong Kong, Macau and Japan.
- Date modified: