Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
Katherine Vanderhorst , Allan Molnar , George Brasovan , Mary Lou Sicoly
School: Dante Alighieri Academy
Principal: Sue Sillery
Grades/Subjects Taught: Elementary and secondary music, drama and multimedia
- Encourage students to use computer technology to learn, perform, compose, arrange and record music to create a sense of pride and achievement.
- Use technology as a bridge to other subjects such as drama, art and creative writing.
- Teach students to critically evaluate their own achievements and to build on what they have done.
- set up a lab using computers with MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) technology along with keyboards and traditional music instruments
- convinced a major computer company to support the project
- selected and trained a team of teachers to plan and implement a thematic unit that incorporates music, drama, visual arts and technology.
Developed a Grade 9 multimedia unit that allows students not interested in pursuing music a chance to experience the music lab.
Established Grade 8 outreach program that takes the school band and vocalist and dance groups to up to 10 elementary schools to introduce students to the wonder and excitement of the performing arts.
- Date modified: