Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Alberta
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
Cindy Meagher , Joan Beeson
School: Bridge Network
Principal: Cindy Meagher
School website: www.gppsd.ab.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary outreach program
- Make education available, in whatever form or setting necessary. Education is a universal need, and success a universal opportunity.
- Create productive and responsible citizens through education.
Created the Bridge (Building, Responding, Involving, Developing, Guiding, Educating) Network for students unable to attend regular high school:
- Pupils come to this storefront school from all areas of the city, referred by guidance counsellors.
- Aim is to lead students back to regular classrooms and on to higher education, and to give them vital experiences of success.
- Program features modular curriculum with more then 70 correspondence courses that students can complete at their own pace. Staff facilitators work one on one with students.
- In 1996 and 1997, there was a 57 percent increase in course completion and a 40 percent increase in students completing diploma requirements. Since inception, the program has grown from 60 to 400 students, and there has been a steady increase in the number of students able to return to traditional schools.
Both teachers involved in a long list of school, district, provincial and national organizations and committees.
"In my role [as a child welfare official] I see many youth who need to find some measure of success to begin to rebuild a sense of worth and competence. Cindy and Joan have created an environment where youth [can do that]; where they can achieve success." Education partner
"The Bridge Network has helped me achieve my goals and made me believe that, even as a mother of two, I can do anything I put my mind to." Student
- Date modified: