Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Alberta
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Victoria School of Performing and Visual Arts
Principal: Robert Maskell
School website: www.epsb.edmonton.ab.ca/ schools/victoria
Grades/Subjects Taught: Elementary and secondary theatre
- "Students of the arts have to look inside themselves. Their education is about them and how they relate to the world."
- Help students draw on their individual strengths and constantly think about how they can grow and excel.
- Be ready and able to provide non-traditional ways for students to explore and learn.
- Never say "impossible!"
For more than a decade has been the driving force in revitalizing the Victoria School:
- started with almost nothing (the former Victoria Composite School was falling apart and slated to be closed)
- created five distinct arts programs: the School of Music, the School of Dance, the Theatre School, the School of Art and Design, and the School of Video and Broadcast Studies
- innovative, arts-based educational program is considered one of the best in Western Canada
- attended by 1800 students, many of whom commute daily from as far away as 50 km.
In 1994, spearheaded a unique partnership between the school and an Edmonton theatre company to give students the opportunity to work alongside actors and directors in professional productions.
Recruited a large team of volunteers from parents to professional artists to enrich program.
"Because of Tami's influence this school does not simply offer instruction in various disciplines, but provides broad exposure to a whole range of ideas and skills. We're a renaissance school!" Fellow teacher
"I loved the arts when I arrived at Victoria School, but Ms. D.C. opened up a whole new level of appreciation for me. She is truly passionate about teaching the arts." Student
- Date modified: