Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Abbotsford Senior Secondary School
Principal: Glen Roger
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary integrated studies
- They won't care what you know until they know that you care.
- Where there is no fun, there is no learning.
- No kid is totally hopeless.
Developed integrated studies, an in-school program of studies for academically capable at-risk students:
- adapts elementary classroom format to secondary curriculum
- designs original instructional activities to meet curricular requirements, while engaging the interest of suspicious, apathetic or discouraged students
- creates variety of learning areas in classroom
- interjects life lessons into curriculum to discuss behaviour, stress and relationships
- balances demanding academic program with supportive family-like atmosphere.
Program began with 12 "reluctant and scared young people" many of whom were living away from home. Now, there are 40 students in the program, 20 of whom will graduate from Grade 12 after their second year and will be able to apply for college.
Class maintains 92 percent attendance. Health habits and academic assignments improve daily. Many students are the first in their family to graduate from high school. Student self-referrals to program doubled class size in first year.
- Date modified: