Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Newfoundland and Labrador
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Bishops College
Principal: Edmund Arnott
School website: www.bishops.ntc.nf.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: English, entrepreneurship, co-operative education
- Create strong school experiences that help students increase their learning capacity, knowledge and ability to apply acquired knowledge.
- Foster critical-thinking skills, creative problem solving and continuous learning in a stimulating learning environment.
- Encourage entrepreneurial spirit and make education relevant; provide opportunities for students to practise their skills in different environments.
Established the Bishops College Enterprise Showcase:
- requires all entrepreneurship students to develop and display a venture proposal and business plan
- helps students develop communications skills while presenting their work to others; they learn to speak clearly, listen effectively, and read and write technical reports
- involves more than 100 students, up from 16 in 1993; includes projects from interested students not enrolled in program
- students earn top prizes in School District Showcase, provincial Y Enterprise Olympics, Atlantic College Entrepreneurs Showcase and the provincial YM-YWCA Enterprise Centre writing contest.
Guides learning with Conference Board of Canada's Employability Skills Profile so entrepreneurship students:
- develop personal characteristics and skills to help them achieve meaningful goals
- make a contribution to school and community
- visit entrepreneurs and employers, attend educational seminars, see business in action.
"Brian Vardy has had a huge impact on how I view the education system in this province and how my support for school-business partnerships has grown." Business owner, co-op employer
"A big part of our success was Mr. Vardy's expertise and personality. He seemed to know what I was thinking and how to help me understand complex issues." Student
- Date modified: