Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Prince Edward Island
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Queen Charlotte Intermediate School
Principal: Lee Forbes
School website: www.edu.pe.ca/queencharlotte
Grades/Subjects Taught: Band, general music appreciation
- Encourage students to be highly competitive with their own potential, measuring themselves against the best they can possibly be.
- Develop rapport with students through humour.
- Command attention by giving constant attention.
Employs mastery learning, self-evaluation and prescription, peer coaching and team evaluation to create popular courses with virtually no attrition:
- four bands involve 30 percent of student population: grades 7, 8, and 9 concert bands, and an all-grades jazz band
- general music appreciation classes bring music to half of the school
- students go to high school with highly developed musical skills, a sense of commitment to groups, an understanding of their role in an ensemble, and a sense of responsibility to music and fellow musicians. Many pursue music after high school.
Encouraged further development of musical skills and enjoyment by youth by co-founding non-competitive band festivals and summer camps:
- Concert Band Festival brings together more than 30 provincial bands for learning, professional development and constructive feedback for players and directors alike
- P.E.I. summer band camp, now in its 14th year, hosts 320 young musicians for a week of instruction, performance and fun. Camp alumni, now music teachers and performers, return as instructors.
"He skillfully goes where the students are and takes them on a magical journey of discovery – about music making, about life." Fellow teacher
"He looks and acts like a music teacher, but in truth his job is making gold." Nominator
- Date modified: