Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: New Brunswick
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: École Notre-Dame
Principal: Louise Gaudreau
Grades/Subjects Taught: French, math, English as a second language, natural science, social science, art, personal and social development
- Emphasize the "parent-student-teacher" relationship. Students should realize that they are part of this relationship and that their work in school affects it.
- Teach students to manage their time and to take responsibility for themselves.
- Give personal journals to students to help them track their progress.
Created the "mini-prof" program, in which students who are struggling or have missed classes are tutored by their classmates. Also instituted a series of special clinics on particular skills that students struggle with.
Created a series of imaginative activities to help students learn. In "Apprenti-fleur," for example, the class agrees on a common skill they have all learned each week. This is then put up on a large diagram of a flower on the classroom wall. This encourages students to work together.
Incorporated new technology into Grade 1 curriculum:
- students regularly use word-processing and presentation software to present the results of their research
- in 1996, her students created a video as part of a class project.
- Date modified: