Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Quebec
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Châteauguay Valley Regional High School
Principal: Patricia Dagg
Grades/Subjects Taught: Physical education, history
- Focus on the different learning styles of students.
- Use physical education to teach skills and leadership, then carry that energy and interest over into other subjects.
- Attract students with interesting, challenging, relevant cross-curricular projects.
Created an advanced physical education class for exceptional athletes and entered the small school into two large interscholastic sports associations to gain consistent experience and competition. Achieved winning results:
- track and field teams and pole vaulters have won medals at national competitions
- ladies field hockey, girls basketball teams are league champions
- many students win full sports scholarships to U.S. universities
- school known provincially for its talented, capable teams and athletes
- more than half the student population is involved in interscholastic sport.
Created a cross-curricular history project for two high-risk Grade 8 classes – "The Battle of Châteauguay":
- program integrated history, English, woodworking, mathematics, French, music and home economics into a weeks-long project
- students researched and staged a full re-enactment of the battle between American and British forces that took place not far from where the school is located
- project gained national interest from several television news programs
- interest in school, reading abilities, self-confidence and communication skills improved.
- Date modified: