Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Hillcrest High School
Principal: Frank Allan
School website: www.ocdsb.edu.on.ca/HILLweb/
Grades/Subjects Taught: Chemistry, co-op director, peer tutor co-ordinator
- Encourage students to explore and pursue previously uninvestigated areas of high school life.
- Inspire students to become leaders by providing a strong example of leadership.
Actively promotes co-operative education program, assists and directs students towards areas of interest matched with their abilities:
- science students placed with three local hospitals, cancer research centre
- other students placed in local schools, auto shops and retail businesses
- more than 65 students placed each year
- students work four hours a day for four months developing technical skills, independent task performance, awareness of possible career paths.
Established Peer Tutor Program, which has grown from 15 to 68 students in seven years:
- gives students opportunity to earn high school credit shadowing a teacher for one course
- provides a stimulating learning environment
- motivates students to learn theory and practice simultaneously
- allows students to teach topics, prepare handouts, direct group work
- promotes teamwork, leadership skills, self-confidence, patience and compassion
- teaches dynamics of teaching while increasing knowledge and understanding of course material.
"As a former student who still remembers "life lessons," as a teaching colleague awed by how she energizes a chemistry class, and as an administrator who marvels at her enthusiasm for each new school year, I thank Doreen for her contribution to teaching." Principal
"Mrs. Casserly treated the whole student and not just the book-learning part of the student." Former student
- Date modified: