Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Westmount Collegiate Institute
Principal: John Charlton
School website: www.wmnt.yrbe.edu.on.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Teacher-librarian, all subjects
- Promote a vision of education through which students can access an variety of resources, make thoughtful choices and learn to assess them critically.
- Foster a love of reading in entire school community.
- Be responsive to the changing needs of the students, staff and curriculum.
Created interesting, innovative, meaningful library programs for departments at former school, Dr. Denison Secondary School in Newmarket:
- provided extensive theme-based novel collections for English department
- created research projects, resource collections for history, science departments
- included Internet and other computer programs, CD encyclopedias in resource packages
- developed workshops to teach research skills, select books, find Internet sites for mathematics department; marked part of mathematics research projects, visited presentation fairs
- welcomed more than half the student population to the library resource centre every day.
Emphasizes information literacy skills:
- added 28 networked computers at Dr. Denison Secondary in the past five years
- works with students to design research plans
- enhances students' ability to collect data and to present findings to classmates and others.
Students learn to fully utilize and appreciate resources of library; gain critical thinking skills and enjoyment of learning.
"The library is one of the most completely utilized high school libraries I've ever seen. It has a huge circulation to both students and staff." Fellow teacher
"At the centre of the school is the library and at the centre of the library is Annalee, providing intellectual and emotional nourishment for staff and students alike." Fellow teacher
- Date modified: