Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Nancy Campbell Collegiate Institute
Principal: Cora McNamara
Grades/Subjects Taught: English, drama, art
- Present learning as a step towards an exciting common goal.
- Favour a project-oriented approach to learning that accommodates various learning styles, makes expectations clear and well defined.
- Stress oral, visual and written presentation skills as well as the ability to consult in a group.
Integration of English, drama and art sparks students' interest, enhances comprehension and increases opportunities for students to express themselves.
Promotes students' writing skills through English program:
- two students wrote an article published in the Toronto Star
- another student wrote a play performed at the Sears Drama Festival
- a student's poem was chosen for City Hall time capsule
- students work with local elementary schools, writing and performing plays with students
- accomplished students encouraged to tutor peers and younger students.
Brings latent talent to the fore through drama:
- students adapt plays, then produce them for performance in school and community
- teams compose and record music and sound effects on CD
- youth learn oral and presentation skills, become polished, capable communicators
- classes learn sound recording, stage lighting, advertising and other aspects of large project
- student participation usually 60 to 70 percent.
- Date modified: