Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Armour Heights Public School
Principal: Bill Ferriman
Grades/Subjects Taught: Junior kindergarten
- Create a safe environment for children to develop and learn.
- Treat children with dignity and respect, identify and gently correct bullying.
- Fill the classroom with colour to make the room, and learning, inviting and exciting.
- Invite parents to be partners in education; maintain regular contact with parents.
Uses music as a vehicle to teach confidence and joy of learning to tiny children:
- teaches entire class to play the recorder by the end of the year
- brings in professional musicians to inspire children
- encourages children and parents to continue musical education; some students go on to study piano, flute and other instruments
- brought class to perform at principals' meeting; class received a standing ovation
- created 150-child choir to perform at clubs, seniors homes.
Addresses needs of all children with unique and effective teaching style:
- includes the very challenged to the very gifted in classroom activities and learning
- promotes use of Internet to connect with different schools, different grades
- teaches numeracy and literacy, thinking skills and attention through creative games and programs
- gives responsibility and leadership early through special helper positions
- produces high rates of early readers, marked development in other academic skills.
- Date modified: