Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Parkdale Collegiate Institute
Principal: Kenneth Hanson
Grades/Subjects Taught: English
- Create a learning environment that is inviting, challenging, creative, reflective and engaging; students gain self-confidence, passion for learning and growth, and work hard to gain respect.
- Recognize and understand the difference between teaching and learning; give students' learning the priority.
Promotes student speaking, reading, listening and writing through publishing projects:
- Not Poor in Spirit, a student-created book of reports, commentary, poetry, captions and monologues on child poverty and child labour, was honoured by Ontario Lieutenant Governor
- Telling a Different Story, a student-created anti-racism publication, written as part of Writers in Electronic Residence program, drew upon on-line student communication with five schools across Canada; recognized by Ontario Lieutenant Governor
- Toronto Humane Society Essay Writing Contest: Parkdale students won first prize two years running
- provincial poetry/photography exhibit at Art Gallery of Ontario: Parkdale one of six schools participating, students work on display for three months.
Brings a wide variety of learning experiences to students:
- poets, authors, artists, actors visit as guest speakers or to collaborate on projects with students; 11 guests in three months
- tours of art galleries, museums, theatres and historic landmarks enrich background knowledge, and inspire learning
- annual Author Fair: using science fair format, students research and present an author and his or her works
- radio broadcasts from local radio station with student participation
- storytelling activities: Grade 12 students interact with Grade 4 and 5 students.
- Date modified: