Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Francis Libermann Catholic High School
Principal: Wayne O'Reilly
School website: www.libermann.tcdsb.on.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Technological design, communications technology
- Connect with students and fellow teachers to help them feel good about their talents and abilities.
- Enable students to gain real-world work experience without the specialized demands of timetables associated with traditional co-operative education programs.
Spearheaded expansion and upgrade of technological education department:
- enlarged program and workroom from one teacher, a single course and simple technological design shop to seven teachers teaching 17 sections in three fully equipped technological education labs
- encouraged program individualization and modification to meet needs of special students who often excel in computer-based technology programs.
Instigated formation of the Falcon Knights, a technology club. This group:
- qualified for Space Camp Canada and the first Ontario-Quebec robotics competition
- created the Falcon Knight Robotics Challenge, an annual series of robotics competitions
- ran the Real and Virtual Robot challenges as provincial and national skills competitions
- won several provincial and national skills development and robotics competitions such as Architectural Animation, Mechanical Animation, Geographic Information Systems.
Designed youth internship project in conjunction with federal government in which students:
- alter an existing course to become an independent study project
- set specific content of individualized course in partnership with teacher and mentor
- continue to work on project while developing skills tailored to market demand.
"In an age when information and communications technology are increasingly being used as tools to support innovative teaching and student learning, Bob's resourcefulness is evident." Fellow teacher
"When introduced to these challenging programs, I was really frustrated but Mr. Tone worked with me and showed me how to utilize them to their full potential." Student
- Date modified: