Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Westgate Collegiate and Vocational Institute
Principal: Ian MacRae
Grades/Subjects Taught: Business English, technological design, computer networking
- Foster connection between in-school courses and outside world, make education more meaningful for students, bring authentic projects into the curriculum.
- Stay on the forefront of technological innovation through professional development.
- Support and promote contests and competitions for students, challenging them to excel.
Launched innovative new program combining business English with technological design:
- credit course entitled The Printing Press produces real-life product, a student-designed and -published newspaper, Eye of the Tiger
- project acts as vehicle for learning, emphasizing open-ended problem solving, focusing on process as well as product or solution
- Eye of the Tiger achieved provincial honours at annual High School Newspaper Awards; student editor won four awards and another student won an award
- project and awards attracted media attention; students did radio and television interviews.
Developed innovative courses that capture students' interest and promote learning. Students:
- are exposed to diverse and complex design processes and problems
- take progressively greater responsibility for their work
- work as a team, facing deadlines and responsibilities
- develop and show leadership in areas within larger project
- add many accomplishments and employability skills to their résumés
- receive reference letters from employers.
- Date modified: