Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Manitoba
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
Colleen Nick-Johnson , Doug McPherson , Geoffrey Briggs , Louise Redekop
School: John W. Gunn School
Principal: Peggy Anne Wall
School website: www.mbnet.mb.ca/~jwgunn/jwghome.htm
Grades/Subjects Taught: Math, science, language arts, social studies, creative arts, electronics technology, metals technology
- Start small.
- Assemble a team of enthusiastic teachers and administrators.
- Integrate subjects by beginning with language arts and identifying connections to other subjects.
- Provide differentiated learning opportunities so that all students can make sense of ideas and information.
Developed an exciting and challenging year-long program for middle-school students:
- student-centred approach
- "year-at-a-glance" shows all theme and project areas; allows teachers to make connections between themes, switch units
- includes high-interest topics and a safe environment where each student's contribution is valued
- features an atmosphere of trust where every student knows he or she belongs
- students develop skills by working cooperatively.
Created an evaluation method involving student goal setting, reflection and self-evaluation now used throughout the school.
Successfully attracted public and private sector funds to support innovative approaches.
Absenteeism and behaviour incidents have been reduced to insignificant levels.
"[My daughter's] academic progress in your program has been exceptional. She has acquired many desirable life-long skills and attitudes because you have designed a Middle Years program that is unparalleled." Parent
- Date modified: