Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Alberta
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Mitford Middle School
Principal: Dorothy Kristensen
School website: www.rockyview.ab.ca/mitford
Grades/Subjects Taught: Music and band
- Give students room to grow and mature while always being available to assist when required.
- Encourage students to seek outside help; this will help them realize that learning and knowledge are found in a variety of places.
- Expect students to participate in every aspect of a project; this will give them experience and real ownership of the final product.
Revitalized school band program:
- participation has grown from 50 to 245 students in five years
- students motivated to achieve new levels of skill and competency
- students audition for placement in extracurricular bands despite added workload.
Creates aspiring, award-winning musicians:
- bands play sold-out pops show every year; have standing invitation to Vancouver venues
- bands win high ratings at festivals
- students pursue musical careers, studies in secondary and post-secondary education.
Encourages students to pursue own standard of excellence and create own means of expression:
- clear criteria established for each band level communicated to every student and parent
- students encouraged to know and improve strengths and weaknesses
- students form ensembles independent of school program; one such jazz ensemble entered and won gold medal at festival concert.
"Whether marching or conducting or just sitting and enjoying the sound of the band, he leads us with pride and dedication." Parent
"Mr. Billington is more than just a teacher, he is someone who takes a genuine interest in our success, who takes the time to find out what makes each person special and then alters his approach to make learning possible for everyone." Student
- Date modified: