Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Alberta
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Bishop Grandin High School
Principal: Marc Renaud
School website: www.crcssd1.calgary.ab.ca/schools/grandin/
Grades/Subjects Taught: Career and life management, psychology, music, instrumental music
- Encourage youth to develop leadership responsibility.
- Model values of respect, honesty, care and integrity.
- Engage students in program decisions and management roles when possible.
Transformed small music program of seven students into 300-member school music program and marching band unparalleled in city.
Groups students in class according to membership in bands – concert band, jazz band, percussion, wind ensemble, marching band or marching show band:
- keeps performance levels high, encourages excellence in musical ability
- promotes high attendance rates – drop-out rate almost zero among music students
- develops life-long friendships as students move through program together, attend camps
- involves students in numerous provincial, national and international competitions, most recently as the only Canadian entry in a Japanese competition
- trophies, medals and cash prizes boost student enthusiasm and self-confidence
- encourages students to pursue music in post-secondary studies, 15 former students are now music directors in schools around the country.
Visiting clinicians help students develop further, rehearse specific pieces of music, participate in activities to build timing and cohesion.
"Mr. Riegel continuously moulds some of the best, most musical and technically proficient bands on the continent?. [He] has truly given all his students an indescribable source of pride and an appreciation of the arts from which to build their entire lives." Colleague
"He gave me the freedom to choose my own path and style as I developed as a teacher under his guidance." Fellow teacher
- Date modified: