Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Brooke Elementary School
Principal: Tom Bellamy
School website: deltastudies.deltasd.bc.ca/Schools/Brooke%20Elem./Brooke.html
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grade 1, all subjects
- Integrate curricular disciplines creatively to motivate and stimulate interest.
- Give students authentic reasons to read and write.
- Equip students with the knowledge, attitudes and abilities they will need to succeed in society and economy of the future.
Brings information technology into the classroom:
- introduced a reading and writing project, the Flat Stanley Project, carried out in conjunction with email pen pals from Australia
- promotes a reading and literacy program called Wiggleworks to encourage reading, listening and writing practice with books, listening tapes, CD-ROM reference materials
- advances students far beyond grade level in use of technology, communication skills, teamwork, problem solving.
Demonstrates relationship between subject and society with Busy Town in which students:
- plan how to turn class into a town
- take on worker roles, plan jobs, create necessary props
- learn about money, local government, web page construction, correspondence and other aspects of town life and, in turn, learn all areas of curriculum
- use a Word Wall showing new vocabulary, extensive student library, computers and wide variety of study centres to achieve success in learning.
"Her exemplary teaching practices with both her students and her staff have increased the level of achievement not only for the students in her class, but also for the students in the entire school." Principal
"Irene is constantly pushing the boundaries of teaching using new tools and new ideas but she also maintains a solid foundation within the curriculum." Supervisor
- Date modified: