Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Lansdowne Junior Secondary School
Principal: Barry Turner
Grades/Subjects Taught: Elementary, junior and senior concert and jazz bands, computer-generated music composition
- Equip students with knowledge, attitude and abilities they need to succeed in tomorrow's world.
- Promote student-centred learning, engage students in collaborative problem solving, work with them to find their own resolution.
- Recognize and respect different learning styles, employ all strategies to find one most helpful to specific student's learning.
Introduced music composition class, one of two in school district:
- provides computers, synthesizers and Internet for students to create and present music
- draws on other subjects to enhance music learning process – African music enriched with maps, cultural information, pictures
- encourages access of various learning resources when studying music and its history
- resulted in students writing original music compositions to portray evolution and development of music from medieval period to 20th century.
Conducts extensive music and band program in school:
- combines other disciplines into band assignments; each semester students complete a self-directed project on any subject of choice, relating it to their musical interests
- requires students in jazz band to meet outside school hours as part of regular credit course – jazz players meet early morning twice a week
- enrolled 38 percent of student body in band and composition courses, another 10 percent enrolled in newly formed choir and jazz dance classes
- students play in Greater Victoria Youth Orchestra, two students are members of provincial honours band, former students became professional musicians.
- Date modified: