Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Chaffey-Burke Elementary School
Principal: Linda Spruston
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grade 6 , all subjects
- Be flexible, caring and willing to explore new curriculum areas; bring enthusiasm and innovative thinking to teaching.
- Put students at the centre of their own learning; pose problems, ask questions, but let them find the content.
- Provide and support students' opportunities to be leaders.
Introduces science with innovative instruction:
- fills class with "potions," machines, butterflies, aquariums and other visual stimuli
- employs extensive knowledge of science to create hands-on learning.
Livens mathematics teaching:
- utilizes discussion, manipulatives and projects to facilitate learning
- entered students in Gauss and Pythagoras mathematics contests; students earned top scores.
Implements interesting enrichment projects:
- instigated school participation in 1998 Odyssey of the Mind program, promoting creative problem solving for students of all ages, teamwork
- initiated class participation in Aquaschool, week-long visit to Vancouver Aquarium; integrated long-term cross-curricular lesson plan with studies at aquarium
- launched school participation in Marsville project, an inter-disciplinary study creating a positive vision of 21st century by developing a Mars colony.
- Date modified: