Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
Craig Walden MacCulloch
School: Peter Skene Ogden Community Secondary School
Principal: Gary Fukushima
School website: psogden.sd27.bc.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Career and personal planning
- Stress flexibility and adaptability as necessary skills in modern workplace.
- Emphasize teamwork and skills development for academic and employment success.
- Encourage critical and logical thinking for good learning habits.
Spearheaded school-wide innovations in career programming; career education is now the focus for all student programs and course selections:
- created 34 career preparation courses, including apprenticeships and work experience
- devised apprenticeship program allowing accumulation of practicum hours and credits
- arranged dual credit courses so students simultaneously earn high school and post-secondary credits
- gained electronic access to courses not usually offered at a secondary school, such as aviation ground school and heavy machine operating
- instigated work experience placements out of the small community, close to industry site.
Revitalized school and student learning:
- students learn flexibility, creativity, are prepared for rapidly changing job market
- 87 percent of eligible students enrolled in a career preparation program
- significantly increased student opportunity and learning, with these has come an increase in attendance rates and a decrease in drop-out rate
- increase in student participation and extra-curricular activities related to career programs
- consistently higher scores in district and provincial examinations and provincial Learning Assessment Program.
"I have been amazed at the lengths he will go to in order to find positive solutions for his students." Work Experience Co-ordinator
"He initiated and developed a multifaceted comprehensive career preparation program that I believe to be the best in the province of British Columbia." Colleague
- Date modified: