Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Eric Hamber Secondary School
Principal: Lorne Kerr
School website: www.hamber.vancouver.bc.ca/
Grades/Subjects Taught: Science, chemistry
- Emphasize classroom participation.
- Work to increase students' confidence in their abilities and their skill at explaining course concepts.
- Develop students' understanding of how different technologies can be integrated into the study of science, and foster a lifelong interest in science.
- Teach both junior and senior grades to remain familiar with the curriculum and be involved with student achievement at all levels.
Students of all levels perform extremely well in his courses:
- pass rate is consistently in the 97 to 98 percent rate at both the junior and senior levels
- one of his Chemistry 12 students received the highest provincial scholarship exam mark in British Columbia
- over the past five years, 51 of his students achieved scores of 95 percent or higher and four achieved 100 percent.
Worked closely with members of the English as a Second Language Department, he incorporated techniques such as using key visuals, supplementary texts and student mentoring to make science more meaningful to students for whom English is a second language.
Initiated the Science Challenge Program and the Advanced Placement program at Hamber.
"He welcomes ESL and special needs students into his classes and is able to make complex and abstract concepts relevant to all learners." Vice-principal
"Mr. Oakley understands the importance of developing in students self-confidence, personal responsibilities and the ability to work with others, and he has worked countless hours outside of school time to cultivate these qualities." Principal
- Date modified: