Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Chatelech Secondary School
Principal: Bruce Jansen
Grades/Subjects Taught: Social studies, history
- Know and love your subject.
- Provide students with a positive learning experience and keep the learning environment fresh and alive for students.
- Continuously explore and examine new teaching strategies, develop new study units, involve students in a variety of learning activities.
- Encourage and require students to go beyond the facts and utilize the skills of critical thinking.
Developed numerous innovative study units for both Grade 8 and Grade 12 students, which involve students in study of an era through many different media:
- studied World War I through songs and poetry of the era
- transformed classroom into Fuhrer bunker to study Hitler, Nazis and World War II, into castle with "stained glass" and a medieval banquet hall while students study medieval period
- examined significant roles of women in history with several primary documents and study units
- invites all students into her class, successful in approaches to Native students, students arrive on time, stay in school
- achieves outstanding results: students score well above (10 percent) provincial average, number of students in school enrolled in her course is 30 percent above provincial average.
- Date modified: