Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Burnsview Junior Secondary School
Principal: Alex Watson
Grades/Subjects Taught: Humanities, leadership
- Use effective teaching strategies and student-centred activities to empower students to take responsibility for their learning and character development.
- Ensure students are actively engaged in learning inside and outside the classroom.
- Students must be given choices if they are to learn to make sound decisions. Stress social responsibility and appropriate social behaviour.
Created projects that sparked student interest while leading them to do intense research, including:
- B.C. at Work, in which students researched industries that contribute to the provincial economy and presented their findings through demonstrations, simulations, charts and graphs, multimedia clips, oral presentations and written reports
- B.C. QWest, in which students consulted community sources to research open-ended questions such as "Should farmland in Delta be used for farming or housing?"
- a murder mystery game based on early Canadian history.
In 1998 Provincial Learning Assessment students scored significantly higher than both the provincial and district average in reading achievement and significantly higher than the provincial average in writing achievement.
Several students have won scholarships to prestigious institutions, including Lester B. Pearson International College.
- Date modified: