Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Newfoundland and Labrador
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Bishops College
Principal: Edmund Arnott
School website: www.bishops.ntc.nf.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Physics
- Look beyond the classroom walls for the best method to teach a topic.
- Make physics "phun"!
- Suit teaching approaches to content: physics is about problem solving and hands-on activities.
- Provide comfortable and inviting environment to ensure the best learning.
Enrolment and enthusiasm for physics has increased since Ms. Boyce joined the staff in 1995:
- Level 3 physics enrolment has increased from two sections to three, with a fourth being added this year
- number of physics projects in science fair has increased from two to more than 40; two won medals at the Canada Wide Science Fair in 1999
- Bishops students have maintained the highest average physics marks in the school board and the lowest failure rates
- increasing number of graduates are pursuing studies in engineering and physics after high school.
Provides teaching leadership throughout the school and province:
- currently vice-chair of regional science fair committee; involved in preparing bid for 2004 Canada Wide Science Fair
- helped develop a top-quality physics institute for teachers
- received Outstanding Master's Thesis Award from the National Association of Research in Science Teaching for research into how students learn physics.
"The ability to work both with students who are struggling with a subject as well as being able to challenge and motivate those who can achieve higher goals makes Mrs. Boyce a first-rate teacher." Former student
"[Mrs. Boyce's] physics course caught my imagination and it is by no coincidence that Grade 10 was the first year that I went to the Canada Wide Science Fair." Former student
- Date modified: