Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Nova Scotia
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Cobequid Educational Centre
Principal: Wayne Barrett
School website: www.colchester.auracom.com/cec/
Grades/Subjects Taught: Music, ear training, theory/harmony, history, performance
- Exploit hands-on approach and put theoretical knowledge to work with a wide variety of recorded music, sheet music and instruments.
- Create an atmosphere that encourages student leadership, co-operation and achievement of both group and personal excellence.
- Instil self-discipline, time management and self-confidence for musical and personal growth.
Encourages students to aim high with brilliant results:
- bands and Jazz Choir win gold and silver medals at local, provincial and national festivals, such as Musicfest Canada and Truro Musicfest
- students become members of the provincial Nova Scotia Youth Wind Ensemble for talented high school and university musicians, Nova Scotia Honour Jazz program, National Youth Band of Canada and summer bands of the Canadian Armed Forces
- students earn university entrance scholarships and other awards.
Expands students' focus past the baton and teaches them the value of community activities:
- bands provide Christmas basket for needy family
- bands regularly perform at community events
- Jazz Combo and Dance Band in demand for public dances.
Organizes extra-curricular activities to promote musical education:
- co-ordinator of the Maritime section of Musicfest Canada; organizes Truro Musicfest
- arranges music and directs annual school musical.
"Mr. Barrett expects nothing less than 200 percent from all his students. This is justifiable, however, as he gives 500 percent in return." Former student
"Mr. Barrett leads by example. One finds it hard to imagine [students] escaping personal responsibility by telling him 'they didn't have time to do it.'" Fellow music teacher
- Date modified: