Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Princess Elizabeth Public School
Principal: Irene Anton
Grades/Subjects Taught: Guidance, English, mathematics, science, physical education, design and technology
- Inspire students to stretch academically for a sense of pride and achievement in their work.
- Make sure students leave fully prepared for high school, regardless of initial ability.
- Findlay's Rule: Once you're in my class, you're mine for life!
Delivers highly successful math program:
- school student or team traditionally wins first place in the University of Waterloo's Gauss Mathematics competition
- top three math students in Grade 9 were former Findlay students.
Delivers solid science teaching:
- provides engaging hands-on experiments
- promotes good knowledge of inquiry method
- teaches note-keeping for experiments
- develops sound approach for study note and test preparation.
Demonstrates strong commitment to reading:
- includes novel studies, reading aloud, variety of writing assignments
- enables publication of school yearbook in limited time with limited budget
- produces Canadian Achievement Test scores higher than board average.
Encourages development of civic responsibility:
- students help kindergarten students on bus, answer phones at noon, act as lunch monitors
- students organize recycling drives
- students collect cans for food drive, pennies for toys at Christmas.
- Date modified: