Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Collège catholique Samuel-Genest
Principal: Gérald Ouellette
School website: www.nrc.ca/ccsg
Grades/Subjects Taught: Astronomy, physics, introduction to engineering
- Prepare students to make it in today's world but also to make it a better world.
- Work with partners in high-tech sector.
- Base teacher-student relationship on respect and professionalism.
Projects undertaken by students have won numerous awards over the past decade:
- most recently, they collected awards from engineering associations, Microsoft Canada, the University of Ottawa and the Canadian Armed Forces
- in past years, students have won the prestigious Roberta Bondar Award and have reached the finals of the Bell 2000 and YTV Achievement Awards.
Created and taught new courses in astronomy and introduction to engineering.
Brought 3-D design technology to the high school curriculum:
- students downloaded specifications for the proposed space station from the NASA website and produced a three-dimensional model of it
- model was displayed at the National Research Council and, via an international simulcast from Ottawa, at the Information Society Technologies Conference in Austria.
The number of students from Samuel-Genest who go on to university programs in science and engineering has doubled in the past decade, from 20 to 40 percent of graduates.
"The students took to the challenge with amazing tenacity. It seemed as if it were almost a point of pride that they accomplish this project for M. Gauthier." Partner from the high-tech sector
"All the victories, the many prizes and scholarships his students have won, are a reflection of the exceptional qualities of this great educator." Former student
- Date modified: