Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 2002 – Province: Nunavut
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Qaqqalik School
Kimmirut, Nunavut X0A 0N0
Principal: Patricia Smith
School Telephone: 867-939-2221
School Fax: 867-939-2334
School website: www.edu.nu.ca/~psmith/index.html
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grades 10-12, fine arts, social studies, math, science, northern studies, outdoor education, computer technology, shop, life skills modules (part of the career technology studies program), career and life management, career planning and preparation
- Provide opportunities that broaden students' awareness of themselves as individuals, members of northern communities and Inuit, while also exposing them to other Canadian cultures.
- Ensure that the curriculum is relevant and reflective of the children's world, while incorporating the academic requirements to meet the modern world.
Honours Inuit surroundings by integrating them into school curriculum:
- teaches science and biology using native materials: for example, dissection of Arctic char and other animals that community hunters bring back from the land.
- incorporates tax return completion into math classes: arranged for a Revenue Canada representative to visit school and invited parents and other community members to participate and benefit from this instruction
- created a small student-run business selling stationery supplies to teach math skills, and gain experience in retail sales and public relations
- identifies creative solutions for shop projects: for example, re-using packing crates from annual sealift supply to build community sheds.
Organizes exchange trips with southern students to give Inuit students the opportunity to see themselves as knowledgeable and capable in ways that southern students are not.
Contributed to development of high school science curriculum, incorporating required science curriculum with traditional knowledge, taking into account the sometimes limited resources of northern teachers, and created support materials for teachers and students.
Boosted school attendance to 85 to 90 percent and raised high school graduation rates to an average of five to eight students a year.
"Pascale is one of those teachers whose presence and spirit provides the heartbeat and soul to a school." Principal
"If you pass by her classroom you do not need to hear what is being said to know learning is taking place. All you have to do is look at the students' faces." Fellow teacher
- Date modified: