Archived — Trevor Knowlton
Year: 2012 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Summerland Secondary School
9518 Main Street
Summerland, British Columbia V0H 1Z0
Subjects and grades taught: Work experience, dual credit and apprenticeship for grades 9 to 12
From Australia to Tuktoyaktuk, world traveller Trevor Knowlton truly believes that education was made for you and me and he works hard using technology to allow every student to access educational programs. Knowlton is not the mastermind behind just one good website, but several … and each highly regarded and extensively visited. He orchestrates one innovative webcast after another and gets students exposed to the world outside the classroom. Students learn to work collaboratively, manage time and be flexible and responsible.
- Knowlton has developed a variety of highly regarded online resources including:
- LiveTeacher.ca (http://LiveTeacher.ca): a website dedicated to providing live and recorded video lessons to students across Canada. It has provided provincial exam review classes to over 5,000 students across BC, Yukon and BC offshore schools in China.
- VirtualGuest.ca (http://VirtualGuest.ca): a website allowing students to video conference with people around the world. Guests have included Dr. Robert Thirsk and Chris Hadfield (Canadian astronauts), Vikas Swarup (author of Slumdog Millionnaire) and David Suzuki. Students are also able to observe live surgeries and underwater dives.
- StopABully.ca (http://StopABully.ca): a website that provides immediate support to any student in Canada who is suffering from bullying. This one-of-a-kind program has had a huge impact on many schools in BC and Canada and has recently become a registered Bullying Prevention Program with the Ontario Ministry of Education.
- Knowlton also works with community and business connections to provide students with valuable real-work experience. The school now boasts the largest per-pupil ratio of work experience, dual-credit and apprenticeship opportunities in the district, despite being one of the smaller schools.
"Wow Mr. Knowlton. Thank you so much! I can't explain how much this will help! And again a huge thanks for everything you've done. Not just with helping me, but for setting up the live sessions for free. I know that it has really helped a lot of students."
Student and visitor to LiveTeacher.ca
"I consider myself truly fortunate to work with a colleague who not only gives so much of himself to his workplace (and profession in general), but does so with great passion and persistence. Trevor Knowlton has a quality of seeing a need and meeting that need. His innovation and hard work have played a large role in filling a number of gaps."
- Date modified: