Jennifer M. Tieche
Year: 2015 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Carson Graham Secondary
2145 Jones Avenue
North Vancouver, British Columbia V7M 2W7
Subjects and grades taught: Teacher-Librarian for Grades 8-12
For 12 years, Jennifer Tieche has been instrumental in fostering a culture of sharing and collaboration amongst her students and colleagues at Carson Graham Secondary. She is passionate about being a catalyst for positive change in her students and strives to promote empowerment and inclusiveness.
Ms. Tieche creates relationships in the wider school community. By utilizing electronic communications and technology in the classroom, she helps support students with special needs, develops innovative programs in the First Nations community and acts as a mentor to colleagues by creating solutions to 21st century challenges in teaching.
- Key contributor to the design of the school's popular new learning commons created to promote a culture of "anywhere, anytime" learning;
- Co-creator of Carson's annual First Nations Family Night;
- Developed partnerships with authors to mentor First Nations students and to help them improve their writing and presentation skills;
- Worked with the school's architects and planners to design inclusive spaces for special needs students;
- Produced professional development presentations for colleagues on how inclusive classrooms increase the cognitive skills of all youth, including gifted students and those with special needs
- Advisor for the How to be a Digital Citizen project that encourages elementary students to be safe and ethical users of the Internet.
My collaboration with Ms. Tieche has allowed me to take the students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom.
If my school had honoured my culture this way, I would never have quit.
- Date modified: