Year: 2014 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Prince Charles Elementary
12405 - 100 Avenue
Surrey, British Columbia V3V 2X2
Subjects and grades taught: Cross-Curricular Enrichment for Grades 3-7; Challenge Program
What is happiness? Can war be justified? What would a perfect world be like? Visit Tiffany Poirier's class and you will witness the next generation's philosophers and critical thinkers engage in respectful debates on some of life's biggest questions.
Ms. Poirier says, "Every child has infinite gifts to discover and share!" She's passionate about her role as a facilitator of learning, empowering students to explore their own big questions, interests, and passions through meaningful dialogue and in-depth projects. Their inquiry-based, hands-on learning environment is a colourful hub of creativity.
- Sought-after speaker at professional development workshops and conferences (e.g., TEDxVictoria, the World Gifted Conference, the Greater Edmonton Teachers Conference, and Investigating our Practices Conference);
- Wrote and illustrated the children's critical thinking book, Q is for Question, An ABC of Philosophy;
- Designed the 10-Step Personal Interest Project framework to inspire students with personalized learning adventures;
- Developed The Teaching Coats Project, an arts-based inquiry for teachers and students that helps to nurture identity and build learning communities;
- Interviewed by CBC radio's The Sunday Edition and subsequently had her students showcased in a CBC radio documentary titled "Philosophy Kids";
- Created a 4-minute video with her students on how technology is used in their classroom. It won MindShare Learning's 21st Century Video Challenge Spirit Award;
- Documents in-class dialogue with a podcast microphone and records her own instructional videos to provide her students with a rich, multi-modal learning experience;
- Overwhelming student demand for her "Challenge Program", a cross-curricular enrichment program that offers engaging theme-based modules such as Philosophy Café, Playground Design, Graphic Novels Workshop, Time Travellers, and How to Do a TED Talk.
Working with Tiffany is exciting—sparks fly as educational theory and classical philosophy ignite with innovative practice, all facilitated by the rich technological environment we teachers are inheriting from our students.
Tiffany Poirier truly cares about children. She not only cares about them directly, but she cares about what they're thinking, and perhaps more importantly, how they're thinking it.
- Date modified: