Year: 2015 – Province: Alberta
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Father Patrick Mercredi High School
455 Silin Forest Road
Fort McMurray, Alberta T9H 4V6
Subjects and grades taught: Engineering and Robotics for Grades 7-12
Tom MacIsaac wears his passion for teaching on his sleeve which is one of many reasons he is adored and respected by his students and colleagues alike. His willingness to bring his best, every day, motivates his students to excel and inspires his colleagues to become better educators.
Mr. MacIsaac delivers his curriculum in a variety of innovative ways to accommodate the diverse learning needs of his students. He believes that collaboration leads to creativity. By working on hands-on projects in small teams, his students acquire problem-solving skills and discover solutions to real-life engineering challenges.
- Invited engineers from Alberta's Keyano College, Suncor and Nexen to give his students the opportunity to showcase their projects to industry professionals;
- Offered multimedia programs so learners with varying needs could master the learning materials (e.g. programs that convert text to visuals and audio);
- Provided students with the opportunity to compete in world renown VEX Robotics and For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology (FIRST) Robotics competitions;
- Hosted high profile guests speakers to his classroom (e.g., former astronaut Marc Garneau and former Prime Minister Paul Martin);
- Developed a 'robotics only' course in response to his students' demands for more hands-on learning with robotics.
It has been my honour to work alongside Tom in the Science and Technology Centre to develop stronger and more innovative programs for students, especially in regards to robotics. His passion for teaching is evident through the countless hours he spends working with students after school.
Mr. MacIsaac has been a great mentor and teacher, teaching my fellow students and I relevant information and skills in a way that is engaging to all. I couldn't have asked for a better teacher."
- Date modified: