Year: 2015 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Gold River Secondary School
201 Muchalat Drive, P.O. Box 700
Gold River, British Columbia V0P 1G0
Principal: Mrs. Arlene Fehr
School telephone: 250-283-2538
School email: firstname.lastname@example.org
School website: www.grss.sd84.bc.ca
Subjects and grades taught: Grades 8-12, Mathematics, Science, Biology and Chemistry
"Cannot be done" is not in Mrs. Katrina Kornylo's vocabulary. Whether she's scouring the lnternet for the latest technologies to use in her classroom or reviving the tradition of regional and national science fairs to the school, she aims to provide her students with a high quality and challenging educational experience.
- Her "flipped classroom" model allowed her to present different lessons simultaneously with the use of SMART Boards, iPads and other digital tools and limits traditional "textbook" learning;
- Involved community experts in hands-on learning such as inviting a journeyman electrician to assist students on their circuits unit;
- Developed specialized projects for First Nations students who can demonstrate their understanding of the material in a number of ways – oral, written, digital, or through cultural art or music;
- Member of Actions for Learning, a district wide program which researches and implements best practices for teaching;
- Assisted special needs students outside of class time through Distributed Learning, a computer chat program.
Her unwavering commitment to student success is clear as she provides learning environments that are culturally appropriate, individualized, and above all, engaging.
Mrs. Kornylo loves her job more than anyone else that we know. Her passion for math and science is beyond comprehension; so when she takes it into the classroom, it makes a much more exciting environment for students to experience.
- Date modified: