Year: 2015 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
David Livingstone Elementary School
315 23rd Avenue East
Vancouver, British Columbia V5V 1X6
Principal: Mrs. Bridget Browning
School telephone: 604-713-4985
School email: firstname.lastname@example.org
School website: liv-online.vsb.bc.ca
Subjects and grades taught: Kindergarten, All Subjects
Many people think young learners lack the ability of complex and critical thought: not Mrs. Monica Lee! She believes with the right opportunity and stimulating learning environment, students can set goals and act as leaders and role models for their peers.
- Created a "Choose Your Own Adventure" digital SMART Board project for students struggling with fine motor skills; students designed a story without challenges of physical hand writing;
- Her classes performed well in literacy tests; over 85% of her students read at or above grade level, 20% of those students reading at a Grade 2 level;
- Promoted leadership skills amongst her Kindergarten classes with the "Welcome to Kindergarten" event. Students set goals and worked within a two month timeline to organize a school tour for 44 incoming Kindergarten students and their families;
- Presented at the Learning and Development Communities Conference in Yichang, Hubei, China on integration of SMART Boards in the classroom;
- Took a five-month leave of absence to volunteer full time with the international non-profit organization International China Concern at an orphanage for children with special needs in Hengyang, China.
What has impressed me is the way that she weaves the use of technology into her teaching without sacrificing anything important. With her, it is never 'technology for technology's sake', and she never overlooks her students' academic, social, emotional or physical development.
Her teaching is grounded in research—as an example, she is currently involved in an inquiry of the Reggio Emilia approach to learning. Monica provides opportunities for her children to learn through exploration and discovery.
- Date modified: