Year: 2015 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Burnaby South Secondary School
5455 Rumble Street
Burnaby, British Columbia V5J 2B7
Subjects and grades taught: Grades 8-12, Math and Calculus
Mr. Amos Lee's goal is to make math a fun learning experience instead of a burden. He counters the question of "When are we ever going to use this?" by showing the link between math and real world applications such as business and sales optimization and the use of infinite geometric series in cellphone chip development.
- Under Mr. Lee's lead, Burnaby South Secondary School is one of the first schools to pilot the AP Capstone program, which provides Grade 10 students the skills needed for post-secondary education. Only four schools in BC and 100 schools worldwide have had the privilege to test this program;
- Frequently conducts workshop, seminars and speaks at high-level conferences (e.g., British Columbia Association of Math Teachers, Vancouver Advanced Placement Conference, and teacher orientated Professional Days in Burnaby, Surrey, Vancouver and North Vancouver);
- Advocate of the Rebels Food program, an initiative that provides lunch to Burnaby South students every day;
- Developed a new 'end of term' exam for honours students to broaden their understanding of mathematics for the upcoming year—many other teachers have adopted this exam;
- His support has helped several students gain acceptance to Ivy League universities—Princeton, Harvard, MIT and Berkeley.
Students love to work with Amos and he inspires them to give it their best and achieve high standards. They have fun, learn a lot, and make great memories along the way.
Amos has high expectations of students—not just to be a good student but to be a good citizen. He challenges students to think and encourages them to strive for nothing but the best. Amos has always emphasized to students that it is not only the grade, but the learning experience—being a life long learner.
- Date modified: