Year: 2014 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
School District 42 Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows District Office
22225 Brown Avenue
Maple Ridge, British Columbia V2X 8N6
Subjects and grades taught: Grades 8-12, Academic support for all courses
Mr. Scott Ormiston believes the tools for lifetime learning and becoming a socially responsible citizen are critical thinking, goal setting and working with others. He encourages these skills by providing specialized study sessions to build students' confidence, using the "Brag Board" to highlight achievements and guiding his students as they start projects that generate money for the school community.
- Valuable member of a leadership team responsible for 25% gain in Aboriginal graduation rates throughout the school district;
- The Garibaldi Special Education Department, developed under Mr. Ormiston's leadership, was used as an exemplary case model for resource departments in other schools;
- Implemented the "Brag Board" to promote student success. Hundreds of students place an academic achievement on the board that translates into entries for a prize draw. The more achievements the better odds to win;
- Partnered with Shell Oil Canada to provide funds to develop a student operated recycling fund;
- Dedicated volunteer coach during the last 43 years for both school and community sports organizations. Mr. Ormiston's leadership and devotion has impacted hundreds of young athletes earning many provincial titles and a national championship.
When our little girl lost hope, Mr. O was the beacon that brought her a renewed sense of purpose and identity. He helped her realize that a big heart, a caring soul and good intentions are all that ever matter in life, and mirrored the very light he asks of himself. He is the definition of commitment.
Scott is truly an amazing educator. Year after year former students feel the need to come and visit him. This reflects the amazing relationship that Scott has with his students and the impact that he has made in their lives. Scott fosters mutual respect with his students and as a result creates relationships that are meaningful and important to both him and the students.
- Date modified: