Year: 2015 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Lord Strathcona Elementary School
592 East Pender Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V6A 1V5
Subjects and grades taught: Kindergarten, All Subjects
Ms. Colleen Sturrock works with a diverse group of young learners with challenging needs from unstable home lives to English as a Second Language Learners. Her students develop a love of school through Ms. Sturrock's ability to make each individual feel valued, her creative projects involving the community and engaging families in the learning process.
- Collaborated with a variety of experts (Youth and Family Workers, speech and language pathologists, inclusion workers) to support her students' needs in the classroom;
- Promotes the "Second Step" program which teaches children at the Kindergarten level how to appropriately express themselves with an emphasis on social emotional learning;
- Helped organize memorable learning experiences to reflect the diversity of her classroom such as the Aboriginal Open House;
- Started and piloted school-wide projects (e.g., the Reading Bear initiative supporting "buddy reading" between elementary and high school students);
- Built connections with parents through her "Ready, Set, Learn" and "Family Literacy" events to welcome families with preschool age children.
If I were ever to become a teacher, I would want her heart because she gives her all to her kids. She makes each child feel important, special and loved. She nurtures them—they are like seedlings and she is the green thumb.
When my son was in Ms. Sturrock's class, I would estimate that at least three quarters of the students had special needs of some sort. She was managing the needs of a number of ESL students, a non-verbal autistic child, numerous students with unstable home lives and a ton of behavioural problems—but she still seemed to be able to give each child exactly what they needed to do well. All while doing 10 times more than the average teacher in terms of fun learning activities and outings for the kids. She is tireless and simply amazing!
- Date modified: