Year: 2015 – Province: Manitoba
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Sisler High School
1360 Redwood Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R2X 0Z1
Subjects and grades taught: Grades 10-12, 2D Animation, 3D modelling, Web Design & Graphics
Mr. Jamie Leduc's "game changing" moment as an educator came when he attended a conference. Delegates were challenged to "tear down the walls of the classroom" and focus on experiential learning with mobile technology. Mr. Leduc applies the same principles in his classroom, using video conferencing, bring you own devices (BYOD) and online collaborations to provide students with real life learning experiences.
- His work with digital technology at Sisler High School is one of the reasons the Intelligent Communities Forum named Winnipeg one of the top seven most intelligent communities in 2014;
- Provided online resources to supplement in class learning such as 350 teacher-created video tutorials on demand;
- Developed Digital Voices, a vocational media course for students interested in Indigenous Education, to document and digitalize cultural stories and artefacts;
- Designed SoapBoxEd, an educational speaker platform that presents subjects in a variety of video learning formats (debates, speaker series, live surgeries and mock trials). Over 8,000 students in over 100 Manitoba and international schools have integrated the program into their classrooms;
- Has won numerous awards and accolades including the Adobe Educator's Choice Award, Microsoft's Partners in Learning and finalist for the National Face of Innovation Award.
There is much ongoing discussion in the world today about social emotional learning and building relationships in our schools, families and community support systems. It is evident that Jamie Leduc does this, and is successful in nurturing confidence, self esteem and relationships among his students and colleagues in order to pursue their learning in an innovative way.
Last year, Jamie engaged his Digital Voices students in philanthropic efforts for our organization. With their talents (taught to them by Jamie) the students produced a promotional video for our charity for one of our biggest fundraising events—at no cost. He not only promotes community spirit and giving to his students—he embodies the meaning behind supporting charitable endeavors. And those are life lessons that will live on with the students for many, many years to come.
- Date modified: