Year: 2016 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
David Livingstone Elementary School
315 East 23 Avenue
Vancouver, British Columbia V5V 1X6
Principal: Darren Mitzel
School telephone: 604-713-4985
School website: http://go.vsb.bc.ca/schools/livingstone
Subjects and grades taught: Kindergarten
In her music- and nature-filled classroom, Monica Lee uses her global perspective and international experience to help students make connections between school and society. She also works tirelessly to share what she knows with her fellow educators.
Mrs. Lee provides authentic purpose and audiences for her students' work, driven by their questions and interests and employing a variety of technology. She strives to extend learners' skills beyond expectations for five- and six-year-olds, while ensuring all students, regardless of ability, meet their potential.
- Leads the development and implementation of SMARTBoard initiatives in her classroom and at the school, demonstrating that these digital tools can help even the youngest learners and those struggling with writing or for whom English is their second language; contributes units to SMART Exchange, a digital file-sharing service for teachers and board users.
- Was instrumental in getting a SMARTBoard donated to an orphanage in China (where she volunteered for five months, trained the staff on how to use the board to support special needs students and developed curriculum).
- Developed Kindergarten and Grade 1 curricula on personal and road safety for the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia.
- Created a class blog, Mrs. Lee's Classroom, on which she posts write-ups and pictures of lessons, field trips, school events and special occasions so parents and others can keep up on what's happening in the classroom; a Twitter feed brings instant updates.
- Launched a social justice project with a Kindergarten teacher from another school to raise money to have water filters installed for families in Cambodia.
- Publishes papers and book chapters, and is a regular presenter at conferences around the world on using SMARTBoards.
"She is fearlessly creative with her teaching. Her classroom activities inspire children to be conscientious members of the local, national and global communities."
"Monica Lee is one of those rare, gifted and highly reflective teachers who has had a significant impact on the many pupils she has taught and on the many teachers and educators who have engaged with her personally and through her publications."
- Date modified: