Year: 2016 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Holy Cross Catholic Secondary School
460 Linwell Road
St. Catharines, Ontario L2M 3P9
Subjects and grades taught: Music, Math, Food and Nutrition, grades 9 to 12
A creative thinker devoted to helping his students advance, Jean-Paul Dupont brings supportive technology, contacts with the community, a positive example and, most of all, passion into the classroom.
Convinced that teaching is a vocation and not just a job, Mr. Dupont is constantly revising and refining his craft to become the best possible version of himself that he can be. He inspires and expects his students to do the same.
- Created the school's choir and band program from scratch. It now features senior and junior bands, a choir, vocal ensemble, guitar orchestra, jazz band, rock band and Brazilian Samba band.
- Guided the school choir as they worked with members of a local First Nation to prepare and present a special Christmas performance at the school, in the community and on television.
- Founded the board-wide Art and Soul program, which brings students together for a two-day retreat to explore creativity and faith, and see the value of their talents to society.
- Helped students fully immerse themselves in medieval studies through electronic recreations of medieval communities, studying and performing Gregorian chant, and creating a gallery of photos of medieval subjects.
- Created a special website, dearworthyreads.com, as part of the school's Drop Everything and Read program, to encourage reading and help students find books and articles that interest them.
- Recognized in 2013 as an Apple Distinguished Educator for his success integrating technology into the classroom and guiding students to use that technology confidently.
"From Mr. Dupont's willingness to give of himself for the betterment of his students, to his servant leadership amongst his colleagues, J.P. has been nothing short of remarkable; and the students of Holy Cross are better of because of him."
"I've never seen Mr. Dupont give up on a student because they were not musically skilled; instead he identifies their strengths and weaknesses and places them in a position where they will excel best."
- Date modified: